The campfire recipe that will have you digging in for more
There is something so satisfying about settling in around a firepit or campfire with a couple of good friends, your partner or the kids – perhaps with a beverage of choice in hand. But when it comes to food options, we can get a bit stuck. It doesn’t always have to be marshmallows on sticks and damper (although, how good are those?).
Once you try this super-easy, one-pot Nacho recipe, you’ll be digging in for more!
Just like a good campfire, you need to build this from the bottom up.
Choose your own adventure with your favourite ingredients (whether fresh or from cans) – beef mince, pulled pork, black beans, capsicum, jalapenos, tomato, avocado and of course grated cheese. Layer them up in a cast iron pan (Dutch oven) and cover with a lid or sheet of foil and let it do its thing.
When it’s ready, take it off the fire, serve it onto plates or huddle up and tuck into the gnarly, cheesy, smoky goodness straight from the pan.
… Maybe then it’s time to pop some of those marshmallows on a stick and settle in for a relaxing evening under the stars.
Campfire Nachos in Cast Iron Pan
- 1 pack of corn chips or tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 can pureed tomatoes or passata
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 large avocado
- 3 spring onions
- Jalapenos (if required)
- 250g beef mince or pulled pork (pre-cooked)
- Hot sauce and coriander to finish
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan to prevent the nachos from sticking.
- Divide the rest of the ingredients evenly into quarters for each layer.
- For the first layer, evenly spread the chips on the bottom of the pan, followed by a 1/4 of pureed tomato, meat, black beans, cheese, avocado, jalapenos and spring onion.
- Repeat for each layer till all the ingredients are used.
- Cover with the lid or a sheet of foil and place the pan on a metal grate or grill over the campfire for approximately 10 minutes until the cheese is oozy.
- Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime, a scatter of coriander and a dash of hot sauce.
Looking for a perfect, tiny getaway in an idyllic rural setting?
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY
If you are looking for an escape, to switch off from the business of the world, this is the perfect place. Wilson's Rest is situated perfectly at the top of a small hill. Your view is of tall mountain ranges, quiet flowing rivers and in the morning you’re greeted by birds and their endless sweet melodies.
What a wonderful location. We stayed at Wilson's Rest and explored the property finding many interesting things, including wombat holes, birds, kangaroos and what a beautiful river. There are so many spots to relax and take it all in.
The Rapids is wonderful! The location you can’t fault, having the best view of the river making it perfect for swimming and exploring. Fire pit, rapids, sunset and all you need very comfortably. Amazing and highly recommend.
The perfect spot for a relaxing few days away. The house itself is beautiful – the amount of natural light let in is amazing and made us feel very close to nature. Being able to hear the river from bed was also a plus! Would recommend to anyone. 10/10!
Our Tiny House was a delight. You are so close to the water in all of these tiny homes. It's right there! You can hear the birds singing and the water flowing when you leave the screens open. It's like everything you want when you camp without having to camp.
The most serene holiday house we've ever stayed in! The location is incredible right by the river. It was quite incredible to hear the sound from all parts of the house. The house is really clean, much more spacious than in photos and really beautiful decorated.
River Cottage far exceeded our expectations, the photos don't do it justice! The most tranquil setting – it is so quiet at night with a clear view of the moon, it really is picture perfect. Bring a picnic blanket to watch the stars at night, we spotted a lot of shooting stars.
We loved our stay at Elevation, it was perfect. Tranquil. Clean and cosy. Beautiful river and mountain views and nature at its finest.